History:

Walt Snow founded Verax in 1909, and the company moved from Oregon to Washington in 1913. In 1957 Don M. Finrow, who had been in the maintenance supplies field since 1937, purchased Verax. At that time Verax was located near downtown Seattle. Verax later moved just a couple miles up the road to the University District. Due to eminent domain for the University of Washington, Verax moved again in 1972. This time it moved to Maltby, 20 miles northeast of Seattle, where it now occupies 14,000 sq. ft. of floor space.


Don's daughter, Julie Curkendall, joined the company in 1971, was joined by her husband, Brian, and assumed management in 1980 on the passing of her father. Don's daughter, Sue Copeland, re-joined the Company in 1988. Julie's son, Warren, joined the company in 2012.


In the early 20th century, the principal maintenance products needed were hog bristle floor brushes, sweeping compound, cresol (sheep dip) disinfectant, deodorants, and insecticides. Verax has retained some of its traditional high quality products, while keeping abreast of new technologies and environmentally safe chemicals to meet the changing needs of new building materials.


Verax continues to manufacture a wide array of industrial and janitorial chemicals and to distribute a variety of other products.


Stencil once used to label cases of Peerless Green Soap. Barrels being loaded onto delivery trucks in Seattle circa 1924. A colorful old hand soap label.